Stuffed capsicum | Bharwan Shimla mirch , I wanted to try for a long time and finally i tried this last month. I gave this for Kungumam Thozi magazine for the month of November. We can do a lot of variations to the stuffing, i have given few options in the notes section at the end of the post. This stuffed capsicum went well with rice and roti. You can even make this if you have left over potato curry too. Check out my
Stuffed Capsicum recipe
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 30 Mins |Serves: 2-3
Green peas 2 tblsp
Cabbage 2 tblsp
Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Jeera powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
Amchoor powder 2 pinches
Salt as needed
Oil 2 tblsp
- Cut the capsicum into 2 halves and scoop out the seeds from inside.
- Boil the potatoes and peel them and mash it nicely. Chop the onions finely. Boil the green peas along with the potatoes. I used frozen green peas. Chop the carrot and cabbage finely. Carrot and cabbage are optional. You can skip it too.
- In a pan add 2 tsp of oil and add the ginger garlic paste. Once the raw smell goes, add in the finely chopped onions to this.
- Saute till the onions turn pink and translucent.
- Now add in the mashed potatoes and green peas to this. Cook for few minutes.
- Add in the carrots and cabbage. Add the red chili powder, coriander powder , jeera powder and amchoor powder to this. Add salt to taste.
- Mix well and cook for 3-5 minutes in a low flame. Allow this to cool completely.
- Stuff 1-2 tblsp of the cooled potato masala inside the cut capsicum. Level it with a spoon.
- Do this for all the capsicums. Heat a pan and add oil into that and place the stuffed capsicum in batches. My pan fits 4 slices in one shot.
- Cover it and cook it in a medium low flame for 20 minutes. Turn it after 15 minutes.
- Serve this hot with roti or rice. Instead of doing this in pan, you can cook the stuffed capsicum in oven too. In that case bake at 160 degrees till 30 -40 minutes. the skin of the capsicum should change its colour. I haven’t personally tried in oven but have watched few videos about that read about that too.
- For stuffing be creative and do as per your wish, few options are
- You can stuff grated paneer with some chaat masala smeared on it.
- You can even stuff south indian paruppu usili inside this.
- Red kidney beans cooked with veggies like peas and corn and can be cooked along with cooked basmati rice and can be stuffed inside the capsicum. This itself will serve as a meal.
Do we can stuff without Ginger garlic paste ?
Love the way u cooked capsicum In stovestop instead if oven.. Looks delish
This fits a meal and ideal for my weight loss plan