Coconut Rice | Thengai Sadam is a very simple dish ,can be done quickly. An ideal dish for lunch box,which i normally prepare once a week. Generally it is made in South Indian houses on the occasion of aadi 18 and Kannu pongal. Check out other south Indian rice varieties, Iyengar Puliyodarai and Pudina rice.
Coconut rice recipe
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3
Coconut grated 4 tblsp
Raw rice | basmati rice 1/2 cup
Coconut oil 1 tsp
Cooking oil 1 tsp
Ghee 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Channa dal 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tblsp
Fried gram 1 tsp
Green chili 2
Red chili 1
Salt as needed
Raw peanuts 1 tblsp
- Cook rice and allow it to cool. The grains should not be sticky.
- In a kadai,add the cooking oil and temper the mustard seeds,channa dal, peanuts, fried gram,urad dhal and red chili, green chilli. When it is done add it on the top of the rice.
- Add the ghee in the same kadai and fry the scrapped coconut till golden brown. Keep a close watch ,it shouldn't get burnt.
- Add salt to it. Mix it along with the rice and smear the coconut oil and mix gently.
- Add a few curry leaves.Serve with pappad/vadagam/avial