|LEMON( I used Indian lemon)||6 NO|
|RED CHILI||8-9 NO|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/2 TSP|
|VENDAYAM(FENUGREEK SEEDS)||1/2 TBLSP|
|SESAME OIL||1/4 CUP + 3 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
|SALT||1/2 TBLSP+ 2 TSP|
- Wash the lemons and pat dry them nicely in a kitchen towel.
- Ensure that there should not be any moisture.
- Wash and clean a glass bottle and nicely dry this without even a drop of water.
- Cut the lemon into two and slightly squeeze out the juice. Do this very gently, else the pickle will become bitter.
- This step is lessen the sourness of the pickle.
- Gently remove the seeds with the help of a knife.
- Cut the lemon into small size pieces.
- Immediately add salt and asafoetida and mix well.
- In a pan dry roast the fenugreek seed till they become slightly brown.
- Do not roast too much as this will make the pickle bitter.
- Dry roast the red chilies in a pan.
- Grind the redchillis and fenugreek seeds together into a fine powder.
- Throw this onto the cut lemon and mix nicely using a dry spoon.
- In a pan heat the oil and throw in the mustard seeds.
- Add this to the pickle and add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Transfer this to the glass bottle and cover this with a thin muslin cloth and tie this with the help of a rubber band.
- Keep this in sunlight for 3 –4 weeks ( inside the home where you get bright sunlight)
- Every day with the help of a dry spoon mix the pickle nicely and close it.
- No need to keep in the refrigerator.
- After 4 weeks the skin of the lemon will be soft and the lemon must have absorbed the spices.
- Now keep it in the fridge and enjoy with curd rice and love to have pickles with sambar rice too.
- In any step , ensure that there shouldn’t be any moisture and keep you hands always dry.
- The containers you use should be dry and spoons too.
- Always take care not to burn the vendayam and red chilis. This will make the pickle bitter.
- sometimes my mom pressure cook the cut lemon pieces for a whistle but this will not have longer shelf life.
- In this method, no need to keep it under the sunlight, just can be consumed immediately.
- The oil will be dried up , so after 4 weeks heat 2 tblsp of sesame oil and add to the pickle and mix well.