HOMEMADE VEGETABLE STOCK
Vegetable stock | broth which i wanted to try at home for a long time. When i wanted to make a Mexican Rice at home influenced by the one which we had restaurant here , the google search for most of the Vegetarian Mexican rice includes Vegetarian broth | Stock. So i wanted to try this at home. I made this with the regular veggies which we use at home.
Before making this ensure that the vegetables should be fresh. Because i have seen in many cook books they use the left over veggies which will not give a nice flavor to the stock. When i made vegetable stock yesterday my house was filled with fantastic aroma and here comes the recipe of how to make vegetable stock at home.
INGREDIENTS:(YIELDS 5 CUPS OF BROTH)
|GARLIC||1 BULD WHOLE|
|CABBAGE||A SMALL PIECE|
|CORIANDER | PARSLEY||A SMALL BUNCH|
|WHOLE PEPPER||12- 15 NO|
|GINGER||A SMALL PIECE|
- Wash the veggies and chop them roughly.
- Peel the skin of the garlic and ginger and just crush them once with the mortar and pestle.
- In a heavy bottomed wide vessel, add oil and throw in the garlic and onions.
- Saute them in medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Now add all the veggies and mix well.
- Now add the water and add the whole black pepper and ginger to this.
- Now add the coriander leaves | parsley to this and add salt.
- Let this come to a boil.
- Cover this and keep the flame low.
- After 45 minutes to 1 hour switch off the flame and when it slightly cooks down and you can handle the stock pot, strain the mixture and keep the water aside.
- Discard the veggies as all the goodness of the veggies are trasferred to the water.
- If you are using them immediately continue else you can completely cool this and freeze the stock and use when needed.
- For 3 – 4 days you can store it in a clean box and keep it in the refrigerator.
- Normally celery, spring onions, leak are added to the stock. though i get these easily here i wanted to try out with the veggies which we use on daily basis.
- A bay leaf can be added to the stock while boiling to enhance the flavor.
- Do not boil the vegetables for more than an hour else the stock will not be flavorful.
- Freeze it once it is completely cool.
- While freezing the cubes, pour the stock in ice cube tray and once it is set, take out and put them in zip lock cover and freeze them.
- Take out the required portion when you want. Do not re freeze once defrosted.