Few days ago when i saw the Fresh green peas in the nearby Indian Grocery store, i picked up a small packet and though we always frozen peas nothing can equal the taste of this fresh green peas. I wanted to make this green peas curry which my mom’s friend makes for us when we were kids. This is a wonderful combo for Garlic Rasam and hot rice.
|GREEN PEAS||1/2 CUP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|RED CHILLY||2 NO|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||A PINCH|
- Take out the peas from the shell.
- Take out the skin of shallots and chop them finely.
- Add water in a wide vessel and add the green peas . Add a pinch of turmeric powder and salt to this and cook till the peas gets cooked. This will take approximately 10 minutes.
- Drain the water, once it is cooked and keep it aside.
- In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds. When it splutters add the chopped shallots.
- Grind the coconut, red chilly, cumin seed, and garlic into a fine paste adding very little water.
- When the onions turn golden brown add in the cooked green peas and the ground masala.
- Mix it nicely and cook for 2 minutes to get the masala infused into the peas and check for salt.
- Garnish with curry leaves.
- This can be served even with rotis too.
- Cumin seeds can be replaced with fennel seeds to enhance more flavor.
- 2-3 shallots can be added while grinding the masala.