Yam | Sennai kizhangu |Elephant foot , is one among my favorite vegetable but unfortunately my kids and Suresh doesn’t like this much and hence i don’t make this at home. I have already posted a recipe of Yam Tawa Fry. Last week during my stay at my mom’s place one of our childhood friend came to meet me and me, my friend and my sister had a super fun time, remembering our childhood memories. During our chatting session we were talking about the yam curry which my friend’s mom used to make for us. We decided to make it the next day as my sister was also a big fan of yam and her kids and hubby were not!! Amma cooked for the meal and my sister made this yam curry and of course i assisted her by clicking pictures to share with you all.
Stay tuned for more interesting recipes.
- Cut the Yam into big cubes . Add little salt and turmeric powder and parboil the yam . Do not over cook. Let the pieces become firm .
- Drain the water in a colander.
- Grind onions, garlic,red chilli, fennel seeds and cumin seeds coarsely.
- In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds. Add the cooked Yam to this.
- Fry them in medium flame till it becomes golden brown. Add salt to this.
- Add the ground masala to this.
- Mix well and let it cook in a medium low flame for 10 minutes till the colour changes to nice golden brown colour.
- Add grated coconut to this and mix well.
- Switch off the flame. Sennai kizhangu curry is ready for serving.
- My mom made Capsicum Sambar and this sennai kilanghu curry was a perfect combo for this.
- Coconut can be added while grinding.
- Red chilli powder can be added instead of red chillis.
- Black pepper can be added instead of red chilli powder.
- This curry can be made with raw banana or potato too.