When i posted the recipe of Puli Milagai few weeks back, a few readers sent me the request for puli inji recipe. Though my mom makes puli inji at home being a ardent hater of Ginger, i somehow postponed to make puli inji. But recently when i tasted this in my friend’s place i somehow liked the taste and decided to make puli inji and post the recipe. Normally it is one of the dish made in Onam Sadhya Menu, which i heard it recently from Nags .
|GRATED GINGER||1 CUP|
|SESAME OIL||4-5 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|TAMARIND EXTRACT||1 CUP|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||1 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||2 PINCHES|
- In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the mustard splutters, add the grated ginger.( grate the ginger finely)
- Saute the ginger for 2 minutes and add the tamarind extract.
- To get the tamarind extract, soak a lemon sized tamarind in hot water and extract the water as we do for making sambar.
- Add the red chilly powder, salt, jaggery,and turmeric powder.
- Keep it in a low flame and let it come to a mass.
- this will take 10 –14 minutes.
- When the ginger gets completely cooked and the oil starts leaving the sides, switch off the flame.
- Allow this to completely cool and store it in a clean dry container.
- Use dry spoon when ever you take it for use.
- 2-3 green chilli can be added while tempering mustard seeds.
- Coconut oil can be used if you want to get authentic kerala taste.