Navaratri is nearing and is starting from next week , i wanted to post some sundal varieties in my space which will be helpful for all my readers. So i will be posting some navaratri recipes in the following weeks. It has been a long time since i made this pasiparrupu sundal and i remember my grandma making this one not only during navaratri evenings ,but also on regular days and we used to enjoy this healthy evening snack.
|YELLOW MOONG DAL| PASIPARUPPU||1/4 CUP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||A PINCH|
|LEMON JUICE||FEW DROPS|
|GINGER (GRATED)||1/4 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/8 TSP|
|COCONUT OIL||1-2 DROPS(OPTIONAL)|
- In a heavy bottomed pan add the moong dal and add 1 and 1/2 cup of water along with turmeric powder and salt.
- Let this cook in a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in between and be careful not to get it burnt.
- Do not over cook, the moong dal should be whole and at the same time should be soft too. It should not be mushy.
- Drain the water and keep the cooked moong dal separately.
- In a pan, add oil and temper with mustard seeds and add in the chopped green chillies and ginger.
- When it is done add the cooked pasiparuppu(moongdal) and saute for a minute.
- Add scrapped coconut and lemon juice. Mix well. Add few drops of coconut oil (if using) and mix well. Garnish with curry leaves. I didn’t add as i don’t have curry leaves.
- Instead of adding green chilli you can add red chillies too.
- I feel addition of asafoetida(perungayam) will suppress the flavour of the ginger , green chilli and lemon juice flavour.
- If you wish you can add it.