Verkadalai urundai | Peanut balls | Kadalai urundai is one we make usually make along with Pori Urundai for Karthigai Deepam. My mom makes this and she makes it as the same way as we do the pori urundai. I love this peanut balls and this is the first time i made these balls and they turned out very perfect.
Check out my other karthigai deepam recipes
The most important thing for making this peanut balls is the jaggery should be nice “Paagu Vellam”. Else the kadalai urundai will not get combined nicely.
INGREDIENTS: (MAKES 14 – 15 BALLS )
|PEANUTS| KADALAI||1 AND 1/2 CUP|
|VELLAM | JAGGERY||1/2 CUP|
|GHEE or RICE FLOUR||TO GREASE HANDS|
|DRY GINGER POWDER | SUKKU||A PINCH (OPTIONAL)|
METHOD: ( I used the raw de skinned peanuts)
- Roast the peanuts in a pan in a medium flame for 5 minutes stirring it continuously.
- Keep it aside.
- If using the skinned peanuts, roast this for 5 more minutes and rub the peanuts with fingers and phew the skin.
- Add jaggery in the pan and add 1/2 cup of water.
- When the jaggery dissolves filter the impurities.
- If adding dry ginger add now and stir it in a medium flame.
- Take a little water in a small bowl. This is to check the consistency of the jaggery.
- Just add a few drops of nicely boiling jaggery into the water.
- If you could able to make it a hard ball,then switch off the flame.
- Otherwise allow it to boil till u reach the consistency.
- Keep the peanuts in a wide bowl and pour the jaggery to it.
- Mix it nicely with a ladle.
- Grease your hands with a drop of ghee and make it balls when it is warm.
- Even if get cools down in the last, don’t worry just keep the plate on the flame for few seconds and the jaggery will melt and u can make the balls.
- This can be stored in air tight containers and keep it in room temperature.