PLAIN IDIYAPPAM AND THENGAI SEVAI
Idiyappam | Sevai | string hoppers is a very rare dish we make it at home. My mom makes it regularly using the traditional Sevai Nazhi , which is very tough( i feel) but we used to help her when we were kids. She makes variety of Sevai and i will soon post the recipes of the sevai soon. My kids don’t prefer much and only me and my hubby only eat this and whenever i make this i do for dinner only.So never had chance to click. Somehow last week i managed to make this for breakfast and clicked too. This is very handy if you don’t have Idli | dosa batter at home. I used the idiyappam flour but you can use plain rice flour too.
INGREDIENTS:(FOR PLAIN IDIYAPPAM)YIELDS APPROX. 10 PIECES
|IDIYAPPAM FLOUR | RICE FLOUR||1 CUP|
|WATER||1AND 1/4 CUP|
- In a pan add water and add salt and oil to it. Keep the flour in a wide bowl. When you see small bubbles of water switch off the flame and add it slowly to the flour. when it is warm mix it nicely with a spoon and with you hands make it into equal portions to fit into the press.
- Use the omapodi achhu for this.
- Grease an idli plate and press medium sized circles . Steam this for 5 minutes. After a minute take it out from the idli plate and transfer it a wide plate and cover it with a damp cloth to keep it moist and to avoid drying. Repeat the process for the rest of the dough. If you are going to have it with coconut and sugar just add the sugar to the mix and start mixing it gently. Add coconut in the last and mix well.
- If you like coconut milk you can serve it with coconut milk too.
INGREDIENTS FOR THENGAI SEVAI | COCONUT SEVAI:
|PLAIN IDIYAPPAM||1 CUP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
|CHANNA DAL||1/2 TSP|
|URAD DAL||1/4 TSP|
|COCONUT OIL||1 TSP|
- In a pan add oil and add mustard seeds, channa dal,urad dal, chopped green chilli, peanuts and saute in a medium flame till the dal and peanuts become golden brown.
- Add this to the plain idiyappam and add a tsp of coconut oil.
- In the same pan saute the coconut in a low flame till it gives a nice aroma.
- Add this also to the plain idiyappam and mix it gently with clean dry hands.
- Add curry leaves to this. ( I didn’t’ t have and so i didn’t add)
You can have Idiyappam with Vegetable Stew.
- While boiling the water to make idiyappam do not boil too much.
- Do not steam the idiyappams for too long. Else it will become rubbery.