SPINACH DALDal palak | spinach dal is an easy and comforting dish and though i have tasted this in restaurants never tried at home. But my friends here, used to make this often for rotis.For a change from usual Keeari masiyal and keerai poriyali tried this dal palak which a bunch of palak which i got from the Indian store . To my surprise the kids and hubby loved this a lot and they finished the entire bowl in no time.
My friends normally add tomatoes but since i didnt have on that day, i replaced it with 1 tsp of lemon juice in the last.
|PALAK | SPINACH||2 CUPS|
|TOOR DAL(COOKED)||3/4 CUP|
|LEMON JUICE||1 TSP|
|CUMIN SEEDS| JEERA||1/2 TSP|
- Wash the palak and chop them finely.
- chop the onion , ginger and green chillies finely.
- In a pan add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and add the ginger and green chilli.
- Add the onions and saute till they turns pink.
Add the chopped palak and add sugar and salt.
- Cook in a medium flame till the spinach shrinks.
- This will take 4-5 minutes.
- Add the cooked toor dal and mix well. If it is thick add water to reach a kootu consitency.
- Bring this to a nice boil. Switch off the flame and squeeze the lemon juice.
- Serve hot with rice | roti.
- We had with rice and vazhakkai curry.