LOW FAT KOFTAS
Cabbage kofta recipe, low fat koftas using cabbage, cooked in a tomato based gravy.
I never know that we can make koftas with Cabbage and this is the first time i attempted and it turned out well and was a super hit among the kids. Actually i wanted to deep fry the kofta ballas as i did for Malai Kofta Recipe, but after i start putting one ball in oil, i felt it absorbed more oil. So i immediately changed the idea of deep frying it and made it in a paniyaram pan. Though it took little extra time , but still we can have guilt free koftas.
INGREDIENTS: (SERVES 4-5)
FOR KOFTAS –(MAKES 12 KOFTAS)
|CABBAGE ( FINELY CHOPPED)||2 CUPS|
|BESAN | KADALAI MAAVU||3 TBLSP|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||1 AND 1/2 TSP|
|GARAM MASALA||2 PINCHES|
|OIL||1- 2 TBLSP|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||1 TSP|
|TOMATO KETCHUP||1 TSP|
|GARAM MASALA||TO TASTE|
|KASOORI METHI||2 PINCHES|
METHOD: for making koftas.
- Add the chopped cabbage and scrambled paneer in a wide bowl and add salt.
- Keep this aside for 15 minutes after mixing well.
- Now squeeze out the extra water as much as you can and keep it aside.
- Add red chilli powder, garam masala, little salt,besan and mix well.
- Now start making balls. If you still can’t bind this properly add 1-2 tblsp of besan to this cabbage paneer mixture and start making balls.
- It yielded approximately 12 balls for me.
- Heat a paniyaram pan, and add little oil to this and start cooking the kofta balls in a medium low flame. This will take little time but instead of deep frying this method is ok.
- Cook all sides by turning it around till it becomes golden brown in color.
- Koftas are ready. Keep this aside.
- Roughly chop the onions and peel the skin of the garlic.Saute this in a tblsp of oil till the onions turn brown.
- Grind this into a smooth paste along with tomatoes,chilli powder, kasoori methi and tomato ketchup.
- In a pan add oil and add the ground masala.
- When it leaves oil on the side add the milk ( i used full cream milk) and add 1 cup of water too. Make the gravy little thin as after adding the koftas the gravy will thicken . Add garam masala to this and mix well.
- When the koftas are completely cool, add to the hot gravy and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- These koftas stayed in the gravy as it as for 4- 5 hours.
- Always ensure that the water is completely squeezed out from the cabbage paneer mixture.