Poondhu kuzhambhu | Garlic kulambhu is an authentic chettinad recipe . Though i have tasted this many times at my friend’s place during my school days, never know how to make poondu kuzhambhu. When a reader asked for this recipe i casually asked my sister whether she knows this recipe of chettinad poondu kuzhambhu she immediately told the recipe . I tried it few days back and enjoyed with rice and Kootu. We love to have any coconut based curry or kootu for spicy gravies.
Also check out
Also check out
INGREDIENTS: (SERVES 4-5)
|GARLIC FLAKES||10- 15|
|TAMARIND EXTRACT||2 AND 1/2CUP|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||3 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||A PINCH|
|SESAME OIL||2 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
TO ROAST AND GRIND:
|CORIANDER SEEDS||3 TSP|
|BLACK PEPPER||1/2 TSP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|VENDAYAM (FENU GREEK SEEDS |METHI SEEDS)||1/4 TS[|
|SMALL ONION |SHALLOT||4-5|
- Peel the skin of the garlic and keep it aside.In a pan dry roast the ingredients given under the table To Roast and Grind. Saute it in a medium flame till they become evenly brown.
- Grind this into a smooth paste.
- In a pan add oil and add in the mustard seeds and add curry leaves. Add the peeled garlic flakes too.
- When the garlic turns soft add the tamarind water.
- Add red chilli powder , turmeric powder and salt.
- Add the ground masala to this and bring it to a nice boil till it reaches the kuzhambhu consistency.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl and enjoy with rice and and roasted papad or any curry of your choice.