So this is the first time i made keerai vadai at home and it turned out yum and stayed soft even after 4-5 hours.
INGREDIENTS: (YIELDS 10 TO 14 VADAS)
|CHANNA DAL||3/4 CUP|
|TOOR DAL||1/4 CUP|
|SPINACH||1 CUP(TIGHTLY PACKED)|
|FENNEL SEEDS||1/8 TSP|
|OIL||FOR DEEP FRY|
- Soak the channa dal and toor dal for 2 hours.
- Drain the water and grind this along with red chilli, salt ,fennel seeds and asafoetida.
- Grind them coarsely. You can add few spoons of water if u need while grinding.
- Add chopped onions to this and finely chopped and cleaned spinach to this.
- Mix it nicely with hands. Take a portion of batter and flatten this with hands. Normally keerai vadai is slightly bigger than the regular masala vadai.
- Heat oil in a wok for deep frying, when it is hot carefully place the patties to the oil. do not put too much in a batch.
- Flip it after few minutes and cook in a medium flame.
- Do not keep the flame too high, the inner side will not get cooked.
- Do not keep it too low also. It will make the vadai soggy.
- When it turns golden brown colour, drain this in a kitchen towel and enjoy hot with a cup of coffee or tea.
- We had some left over vadais which we had for dinner along with Curd rice.
- This vadai can be made with Urad dal batter too.
- For more crispiness add 1 tsp of ghee in the batter after grinding and mix well before frying.