- Chop the onions and tomatoes into small pieces.
- In a pan add 2 tsp of oil and add the red chillis and tamarind. Saute in a medium low flame. If adding urad dal add now and saute till golden brown.
- Keep this aside.
- Saute the onions in a low flame till they become pink.
- Add in the tomatoes and saute till they become mushy.Add salt. Always saute in a low flame.
- Allow this to cool.
- Grind this into a smooth paste adding necessary water.
- Temper with mustard seeds an curry leaves in 1 tsp of oil.
- Kara chutney is ready to serve. this tastes best with idli|dosa and even with chapathi too.
- Chana dal can be added instead of urad dal(if adding)
- Coarsely Grind the red chilli and tamarind first and then add the onions and tomatoes.