- Wash the rice and soak it in 3 cups of water for 20 minutes.
- Wash the spinach and the coriander leaves. Chop the onions lengthwise and peel the skin of the potato(if using) and cut them into cubes.
- In a pan add few drops of oil and saute the palak, green chili, coriander leaves. Do not saute for a long time. ensure not to change the colour.
- Grind this palak mixture along with coconut(if adding) into a fine paste. If needed add very little water.
- In a pressure cooker add oil and add the bay leaf and add the onions. Cook the onions till they turn translucent.
- Add in the cubed potatoes and peas. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground spinach paste to this and saute for a minute. Add salt to this.
- Add the soaked rice by keeping the water aside. Saute the rice for a minute and add in the water.
- Cover the lid and cook till one whistle. Keep the flame in very small for 10 minutes and switch it off. Once the pressure is released, fluff it up with fork.
- Spinach pulao | palak pulao is ready to serve. You can have with any raitha or vadams too.
- You can add carrots too to make it colourful.
- Small piece of ginger can be used while grinding.
- You can add cardamom while adding bay leaf to enhance the flavour.
- Coriander leaves can be replaced with mint leaves.
- Peas can be replaced with handful of soaked chick peas.