I adapted this recipe from Tarla Dalal cookbook.
Moong dal Halwa
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 45 Mins |Serves: 5-6
Yellow Moong dal 1 cup
Sugar 1 cup
Ghee 6 tblsp
Saffron few strands
Cardamom powder a pinch (optional)
Milk 1 cup
- Soak the moong dal in water for 4-5 hours.
- Drain the water completely.
- Grind this into a paste without adding any water. You can grind this little coarsely too. LAter only i came to know about that through my co sister.
- In a pan melt the ghee and when it is hot add the ground paste and saute this in a low flame.
- Saute this till it turns golden brown. Initially it will become slightly a whole mass and gradually it will get separated .
- Meanwhile warm the milk and take 1 tblsp from this and soak the saffron in it.
- Add the rest of the milk to the sauted moong dal.
- Cook in a a low flame to get the milk absorbed. Add the saffron to this too.
- Add sugar to this and cook till the milk get absorbed. add cardamom powder if you want at this stage. Slice the almonds thinly and garnish the almonds to the halwa.
- Serve it hot or warm.
- Many people add khoya to this to make this more richer. If adding khoya ,scramble the khoya and add it after adding milk.
- Condensed milk can be replaced with milk and sugar. This gives an awesome rich flavor and taste to the halwa.
- A non stick pan works out wonderful for this halwa.