Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 2
Cooked rice 1/2 cup
Mint leaves 1/4 cup
Coriander seeds 2 tsp
Channa dal 2 tsp
Green Chili 1
Coconut 1 tblsp(optional)
Oil 3 tsp
Cashew nuts 4-5 (optional)
Peanuts 2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Urad dal 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
- In a pan add oil and add in the mustard seeds. When it is done add the urad dal, peanuts and cashew nuts. Cook till they turn golden brown . Transfer this to a wide plate.
- In the same pan, add the coriander seeds, channa dal and green chili. Roast till the dal becomes nice brown colour. Add the coconut(if adding) at this stage . roast for 2 minutes in a low flame. Switch off the flame. Add in the mint leaves.
- When it is cool grind this in a mixer . Do not add water while grinding.
- Add this to the tempered mixure. Add cooked and cooled rice. Ensure that the rice is not over cooked. Add salt and mix gently.
- Pudina sadam is ready to serve. Serve this with a simple appalam or vadam. We had with javarisi vadam.
- Always ensure that the rice is perfectly cooked .
- Do not roast the mint leaves , switch off the flame and add. Else it will turn bitter.
- Basmati rice and raw rice also works well for this.
- If you want you can add 1 clove while roasting and grind along with the Mint leaves mixture.
- Green chili can be replaced with red chili
- Fresh coconut can be replaced with kopra too.