Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 1-2
Rice 1/4 cup
Pepper and Jeera 1 tsp
Salt as needed
Onion 1 (optional)
Mustard seeds |Kadugu 1/4 tsp
Urad dal 1/8 tsp
Cashew nuts 4 (optional)
Curry leaves few
Oil 1-2 tsp
- Cook the rice with 3/4 cup of water and add few drops of ol while cooking. I used Par boiled rice ( puzhungal arisi). If using raw rice or basmati rice just add 1/2 cup of water only.
- Allow the rice to cool in a wide plate.
- If adding onion, finely chop them.
- In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds, urad dal, cashew nuts and curry leaves. Add onions to this and cook till the it becomes pink.
- Pound the pepper and jeera coarsely in a mortal and pestel. Add this to the pan. Add Salt.
- Add rice to this and keep the flame low. Gently mix this well. and switch off the flame.
- If needed add few drops of ghee to enhance the flavour.
- Milagu sadam is ready. Serve with any papad or vadam. We had with javarisi vadam.
- You can add grated carrot in the last to make it colorful and healthy.
- Adding peanuts instead of cashew nuts will be nice too.
- Even boiled green peas can also be added to make it colorful and healthy.