Aadi is the 4th month in Tamil calender. On the first day of aadi, generally in most of the tamil brahmin houses they make this aadi paal or thengai paal payasam. I have already posted the collection of aadi pandigai recipes . Tomorrow being the first day off aadi, i thought i will post it today so that it will be useful for ny readers who search for Aadi paal or thengai paal payasam. Stay tuned for more festival recipes coming up here.
Preparation Time : 5 mins* | Cooking Time : 15 Mins |Serves: 3-4
*if the coconut milk is ready
Thin coconut milk 1 and 1/4 cup
Thick coconut milk 3/4 cup
Jaggery 1/2 cup
Cashew nuts 5
Ghee 1/2 tsp
- In a pan add jaggery and add 2 tsp of water. Allow the jaggery to melt. Keep the flame very low.
- Filter the impurities and add the filtered jaggery with thin coconut milk.
- Bring this to boil for 5 minutes in a low flame.
- Add the thick coconut milk. Do not boil after thick coconut milk.
- When it froths up switch off the flame.
- Fry the cashew nuts in ghee and add it to the payasam. Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Thengai paal payasam is ready to serve. You can either serve this chill or hot too.
- The payasam tends to thicken slightly after they cool.
- You can use store bought coconut milk too. Id using, dilute it bit more to get thin coconut milk.
- Do not boil after the first coconut milk. Else it will curdle.
- Always mix thsi well before serving.