Godhumai rava payasam is a simple and easy payasam made with samba wheat rava, milk and jaggery as the main ingredients. I tried this last week itself but somehow struck with editing the video and by the time i finished editing it was too late . So i decided to post the recipe of Samba rava payasam today. Generally we use dalia | samba rava | godhuma rava for making upma or porridge . But this is a creamy and delicious payasam with godhuma rava . As i have mentioned in one of my recent posts, i am taking skype class for a group of 30 people, who are learning sanskrit and vedas (from a different teacher). As a part of their class, traditional cooking is being taught. I am previlaged to share my cooking knowledge with them by showing them how to cook traditional recipes. For the first class i made this godhuma rava payasam and a variety rice recipe(coming up soon). Check out my other easy payasam recipes:
Godhuma rava payasam
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 2-3
Samba rava | Godhuma rava 3 tblsp
Milk 1/2 cup + 1 cup
Jaggery 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder a pinch
Cashew nuts 7
Ghee 2 tsp
- In a pressure cooker add ghee and roast the cashew nuts till golden brown. Keep it aside.
- Add the godhuma rava to the cooker and roast this till it emits a nice aroma.
- Be careful not to get it burnt.
- Once done add 1/2 cup of milk to this and 1/4 cup of water.
- Cover the cook and pressure cook this for 2-3 whistles.
- Alternatively you can cook this in an open pan too.
- In a pan add jaggery and add little water. Melt the jaggery and filter the impurities.
- Add the jaggery water to the pan and add the cooked samba wheat mixture too.
- Boil this for a minute.
- Add the cardamom powder and roasted cashew nuts .
- Allow this to cool.
- Now you can add the 1/2 cup of milk to the payasam to bring it to the right consistency.
- Payasam is ready for neivedhyam.
- You can add 1 tblsp of yellow moong dal or channa dal to the godhumai rava while roasting, this brings more creamier texture to the payasam.
- Add the milk in the last once the payasam is cool. Else it will curdle. Add warm or cold milk. Do not add hot milk.
- Instead of milk you can add thick coconut milk in the last.
- I used the fine variety of samba rava for this payasam.
- You can cook the samba wheat in water also instead of milk but cooking in milk only gives creamy texture.
- You can increase the sweetness by adding 3/4 cup of jaggery.