Pancakes i make rarely in my kitchen as only Varsha likes it a lot. Me Suresh and Varun are a not a great fan of pancakes. I have given this same recipe, replacing flour with millet flour in my Millet cookbook 2 years back. So i thought i will try a pancake recipe using whole wheat flour. I just tried replacing half of the flour with whole wheat and turned out pretty well. These pancakes turned out soft and fluffy and perfect one to serve for breakfast . Try this at home and let me know how it turned out.
Whole wheat pancake
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Yields: 4
Whole wheat flour 1/4 cup
Plain flour 1/4 cup
Baking soda 1/2 tsp
Sugar 2 tsp
Butter 1 tsp
Milk 1/2 cup
Water 1 -2 tblsp
Cinnamon powder a pinch (optional)
- In a bowl add the whole wheat flour, plain flour, baking soda, sugar and butter.
- Add the milk and mix this without any lumps. Add little water if necessary to bring this to a idli batter consistency.
- If adding cinnamon powder add at this stage.
- Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Mix again and heat a pan.
- Pour a small ladle of pancake batter to the pan . Do not spread this much like a dosa. Pancakes will be thick as Indian ootapams.
- When one side is cooked flip the pancakes, like how we do for dosa.
- No need to add oil or butter to the pancakes. We have added butter to the pancake while mixing, so need.
- Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the batter too.
- Serve hot, with sliced banana and pancake syrup.
- Plain flour can be replaced with thinai (foxtail millet) flour.
- You can serve with strawberries and blueberries too.