Bhatura | Chole bhatura is a most popular punjabi recipe. Whenever we go to restaurant bhatura is a the first one Varun will order. I have request from readers for a long time to post this recipe of bhatura. I have tried this twice from a popular cookbook, but it didn’t turn out well. Yesterday when i had soaked frozen chole, i planned to make channa masala. Then this thought of making chole bhatura came to mind and tried this again from here . It turned out very perfectly. Try out this easy recipe of bhatura recipe and let me know how it turned out.
Preparation Time : 20 mins + resting time 1 hour| Cooking Time : 2 Min per bhatura |Makes: 10
Maida | all purpose flour 2 cups
Sooji | rava | semolina 3 tblsp
Baking powder 1 tsp
Sugar 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil 3 tsp + for deep frying.
Yogurt | curd 1/4 cup
Video of how to make Bhatura
- In a wide bowl add the plain flour, sooji, baking soda, sugar ( i used raw sugar) yogurt and salt.
- Mix well and add water little by little to make this into a dough. It should not be too soft or too stiff.
- Add 3 tsp of oil to this and knead this well again.
- Cover this with a damp cloth and keep it aside for an hour. Even if you have time you can keep it 2-3 hours.
- Make equal big lemon sized balls out of this and keep this aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile keep the oil ready.
- Take a dough ball and dust it with plain flour.
- Roll this into a oblong shape. You can make this round too.
- Ensure the rolled bhaturas are thick. If it is thin it won’t puff up well.
- Check whether the oil is hot or not by putting a pinch of dough into the oil.
- If it immediately pops up then oil is ready.
- Put the rolled bhaturas into the oil and fry on both sides.
- Take out and drain excess oil in a kitchen towel.
- Bhaturas are ready to serve.
- These bhaturas retained the puffiness for more than 15 minutes.
- Some people knead the dough with soda water to get nice puffed bhaturas. In that case do not add baking powder.
- Always roll the bhatura thicker, if it is thin it will become flat and won’t puff up.
- Ensure the oil is super hot. Else bhaturas will absorb oil and won’t puff up.
Hi, cool recipe. Kindly correct at one place instead of thin u had mentioned as thick.Mentioned the sentence in quote."Ensure the rolled bhaturas are thick. If it is thick it won't puff up well."