Red bean quesadilla recipe
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Red kidney bean 1 cup (cooked)
Oil 2 tsp
Garlic 2 pods
Bell pepper | capsicum 2 tblsp (chopped)
Cheese 2-4 tblsp (per tortilla)
Salt as needed
Oregano to taste
Red chili | paprika to taste
Butter 1 tsp
Video of Red Bean quesadilla
If using dried red kidney bean (rajma) soak it in water for 12 hours and pressure cook till 5-6 whistles with little salt. Drain the water and keep it ready. I used canned red kidney bean.
Finely chop the onions, garlic and bell pepper.
- In a pan add oil and add the finely chopped garlic.
- Cook this for few seconds.
- Add the onions and cook till they become translucent.
- Add the chopped bell pepper and cook for a minute.
- Add the olives. I used the sliced ones.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add in the oregano, red chili and salt.
- Add the red kidney beans to this.
- Mix well and cook for a minute and put off the flame.
- Using a potato masher, mash the red kidney beans gently.
- Filling for quesadilla is ready. Let this become warm.
- Place the tortilla on a tawa greased with little butter. I used store bought tortilla.
- Cook on both sides for 5 seconds.
- Spread 2 tblsp of cheese on one side of the tortilla.
- Adding cheese in the beginning is optional. I want it to be more cheesy so added it.
- Now place some red bean filling on the top of the cheese.
- Add some more cheese on this. This portion of cheese is a must for the quesadilla. So do not skip this.
- Cover the cheesy portion with the empty side. Refer video for this, in case if you have doubt.
- Cook on both sides. Once the cheese melts it will stick to the top and will get the tortilla sealed.
- Take it out from the pan and cut this into 2 to make a triangle shape.
- Quesadillas are ready to serve.
- Serve hot with sour cream dip and tomato salsa.
- Instead of red kidney bean you can use black bean too.
- Adding olives is optional but it gives nice taste to the quesadillas.
- You can add few veggies like mushroom,corn, zucchini, carrots, cabbage to this red bean mixture.
- You can use home made tortilla or left over chapathis can also be used.
- Instead of keeping the stuffing on one side you can spread it on the tortilla and place one more tortilla on the top and cook. Since i used store bought tortillas and they are bit big, i am bit scared to flip it while cooking, so adapted this easy method.