Sprouts tikki|Moong sprout patties is a healthy tikki recipe, made using sprouts. I have already posted a moong oats tikki recipe. As posted in my Instagram, i went as a judge for a healthy breakfast Masterchef contest, conducted by a nutritionist here in Singapore. It was a my first experience of judging a competition . A truly wonderful opportunity also to learn new things from many people, who participated in the competition. It was agreed by me to post the winner’s recipe in jeyashri’s kitchen, i tried the recipe made by Swati verma, the winner of the competition. She did a breakie platter, with these sprouts tikki, avocado dip , a healthy berry muffins and a fantastic kale banana smoothie. Will try to share other recipes later.
This tikki can be made with the ingredients easily available at home. She used oats in this recipe. I realised that i was running out of oats when i started making the tikki I used the porivilaga urundai maavu which i had left . Alternatively you can use sathu maavu or besan too. Scroll down to the end of the post to get the serving ideas.
Before publishing this post, came to know that today is Swati’s birthday. Through this post, on all your behalf, wish Swati a very Happy birthday. Wish you many more success to come.
Sprouts Tikki recipe
Preparation Time : 20 mins | Cooking Time : 15 Mins |Makes: 11
Sprouts 1/4 cup
Yellow moong dal 1/4 cup
Oats* 1/4 cup
Roasted peanuts 1 tblsp
Flax seeds 1 tbslp
Pumpkin seeds 1 tblsp
Coriander leaves a handful
Mint leaves few
Red chili powder 3/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Ginger garlic paste 2 tsp
Garam masala 1/4 tsp
Oil 2-3 tsp
Thick yogurt 2 tsp
*I used the porulvilaga urundai maavu. Alternatively you can Sathu maavu too.
- Soak the moong dal in water for 10 minutes and boil in water for 5 minutes. Drain the water completely.
- Alternatively you can steam this in a microwave too.
- Once the water is completely drained add it to a bowl.
- Pulse the sprouts in the mixie once and add it to the bowl.
- Pulse the peanuts, flax seeds and pumpkin seeds. If using oats powder it along with these seeds.
- Add it to the bowl. If using sathu maavu add it to the bowl too.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, red chili powder, salt and garam masala to the bowl.
- Mix well and add the thick yogurt. Yogurt gives softness to the tikki.
- Mix well and make this into desired shapes. I made into small patties.
- Add few drops of oil a pan and and cook on both sides till you find golden brown spots on both sides.
- Alternatively you can shallow fry this in a pan too.
- For this she made a avocado dip . It is just by mixing avocada, a small tomato, some freshly ground pepper, salt and 1 tblsp of thick yogurt.
- Mix everything just before serving.
- You can spread the avocado in a bread and keep the tikkis inside it and serve this as a sandwich too.
- You can make this sprouts mixture into balls and cook in a paniyaram |appe pan and add it to your spaghetti and serve it as spaghetti bolognese .
- Make big round patties and stuff it inside burger and serve it for kids in the same way as Mc Aloo tikki burger.
- You can add grated carrots or cabbage to the sprouts mixture.
- Cooked millet can also be added instead of oat flour.
- You can make the tikkis the previous night and cook it nicely the next day and serve for breakfast.
- Instead of chili powder, red chili flakes and oregano can also be added.