Check out my other Tamil new year recipes
Kadala paruppu payasam
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 40 Mins |Serves: 4-5
Channa dal | kadala paruppu 1/2 cup
Jaggery 1/2 cup -3/4 cup (adjust as per sweetness)
Thin coconut milk 1 cup
Thick coconut milk 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder a pinch
Dry ginger powder |sukku a pinch
Ghee 2 tsp
Coconut bits | thenga kothu 2 tblsp
- In a pan add 1 tsp of ghee and add the channa dal.
- Roast this for 2-3 minutes. Do not get it burnt.
- Pressure cook this till 5-6 whistles by adding 1 cup of water to this.
- Mash it here and there using a potato masher. If you want to make it nicely mashed mash it nicely. We all love the crunchiness of channa dal so i mashed little.
- In the pan add 1 tsp of ghee and roast the coconut bits.
- Roast in a low flame till it becomes golden brown.
- Keep it aside.
- Add jaggery in the pan. I added 3/4 cup but it felt it was bit more. You can reduce 1-2 tblsp jaggery.
- Melt the jaggery by adding 1/2 cup of water to this.
- Filter the impurities and put it back to the pan.
- Add the cooked channa dal to the pan. Mix well.
- Let this boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the thin coconut milk to this. I used store bought coconut milk. I diluted 1/2 cup thick milk with 1/2 cup water. If using homemade ones use the second milk, check my post on Home made coconut milk.
- Do no worry if the mixture is thin. It will become in the last stage.
- Let this boil in a low flame for 20 minutes. Stir it in between.
- Now add the thick coconut milk.
- Mix well and boil for a minute and switch off the flame.
- Add the cardamom powder, dry ginger powder and roasted coconut.
- Channa dal payasam is ready.
- You can serve hot or serve chilled.
- You can roast cashew nuts in ghee and add to the payasam.
- Store bought coconut milk works out well too.
- I used 3/4 cup jaggery and felt it is little more, so you can reduce it to 1/2 cup too.