Akki roti is a traditional Karnataka dish, generally made for breakfast or dinner. When you are running out of idli or dosa batter you can make this and a tomato kara chutney is a perfect side dish for this akki roti . As few readers requested for this recipe from long back , i thought i will post this recipe of rice roti. A friend of mine told me over phone the way she makes akki roti and i have tried the same way as she told. Enjoy this akki roti and do mail to me as how it turns out.
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Makes: 4
Rice flour 1/2 cup
Channa dal | kadalai paruppu 1 tblsp
Salt as needed
Green chili 1
Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves few
Warm water to knead the dough
Coconut (scrapped) 2 tblsp
Coconut oil 2-3 tsp
- Soak the chana dal for 15 minutes. Chop the onions,green chili and coriander leaves finely.
- In a wide bowl add the rice flour, finely chopped onions,
- Drain the water and add the soaked chana dal.
- Add salt, cumin seeds, coconut (if using) ,coriander leaves and green chili.
- Add warm water little by little to make a smooth dough. Do not add more water then it will become a batter.
- Divide the dough into big lemon sized equal balls.
- In a butter paper or banana leaf , grease with few drops of oil and place one ball of dough .
- Pat it with greased fingers into a medium thin adai. Put a hole in the center.
- While patting the dough shouldn’t get cracks.
- Heat a tawa and slowly place the butter paper on the tawa and take the wrapper out carefully.
- Cook on both sides using coconut oil and serve immediately.
- Always use warm water for kneading the dough.
- Traditional karnataka people add dill leaves or avarakelu in the dough.
- Always ensure the pan in medium flame. Else the rotis will either not get cooked or will be too hard.
- You can add grated carrots to the dough to make it bit healthy.
- If you feel green chillies are too hot you can add red chili powder.