Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 1-2
Aval | poha 1/2 cup (thick or medium thick variety)
Jaggery 1/4 cup
Cashew nuts few (optional)
Coconut 1 tblsp
Ghee 1 tsp
Cardamom powder a pinch
- Pulse the poha | aval in a mixie to get a rava consistency.
- Do not make it a powder.
- Sprinkle 2 tblsp of hot water to this and gently mix it together and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes the poha would have observed the water and sprinkle 1 or 2 tblsp of water to it.
- Keep it aside for 10 minutes. Now the poha|aval will be very soft.
- Melt the jaggery in a pan by adding 2 tblsp of water to it.
- Filter for impurities if any and boil this again. We need to get a hard ball consistency.
- You can check this by adding little jaggery water to the a small bowl of water.
- If you could make a hard ball out of this then the consistency is perfect.
- Switch off the flame. Add the aval to this and mix evenly.
- Add the cardamom powder and coconut. Mix well.
- In 1 tsp of ghee fry few cashew nuts and add it to the aval puttu.
- If you do not want to add cashew nuts just add 1 tsp of ghee only.
- Mix well.
- Aval vella puttu is ready for neivedhyam.
- Sprinkling hot water makes the puttu soft. Do not sprinkle water and make the puttu immediately.
- Do not add too much water at a time. Slowly sprinkle water to get the sandy texture.
- This puttu stays soft for more than 3 hours.
- Keep in a airtight container to retain softness.
- The jaggery was just perfect, if you need this more sweeter, add 1-2 tblsp extra and not more than that.