Beans aloo sabzi is a popular dry sabzi in punjabi cusine. They make Gajar mutter sabzi, aloo capsicum sabzi too. When i went as a judge for a cookery competition here last month, i happened to met a punjabi lady, who was also in the judging panel. I came to know that she is a wonderful cook. She is very humble and very soft spoken. When i asked her for the recipe of this dry punjabi sabzi, she patiently explained to me the recipe. Thank you pooja for the recipe. I tried it out the next day itself and it turned out very well. Try out this easy punjabi beans aloo subzi as an accompaniment for roti| rice. You can make a dal also as the sabzi is a dry one.
Beans 2 cup (chopped)
This is a scheduled post and i will reply back to your queries once i am back from my vacation. Thanks for your kind understanding.
Beans aloo sabzi recipe
Preparation Time : 20 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 4-5
Beans 2 cup (chopped)
Potato 1 cup (cubed)
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Dhaniya powder | coriander powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Oil 1 tblsp
Ginger 1 tsp (grated)
Roasted cumin powder 1 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Garam Masala 2 pinches (optional)
- In a pan add oil and add the cumin seeds(jeera). Add the grated ginger and saute it for a while.
- Add the chopped beans to the pan.
- Add the chopped potatoes to this. No need to boil the potatoes, just add raw.
- Add in the salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and mix well. Cover it and cook for 10 minutes.
- Check whether the aloo is cooked or not. If it is cooked, take out the cover and cook for few minutes till the water, if any, evaporates.
- Add roasted cumin powder to this. I roasted little jeera on a dosa pan and pound that using mortar and pestle.
- If adding garam masala add it now.
- Mix well and serve hot with rotis or rice.
- You can add finely chopped onions while adding ginger.
- Instead of red chili powder and dhaniya powder you can add sambar powder too.
- Roasted cumin seeds enhances the flavour to the beans aloo sabzi, so do not skip that.
Hi Jey nice recipe I never knew of this combination of beans and potato. Will the beans get cooked in this process?
Hi,yes it will be cooked.