The very first time when i saw this it was strange to me and after trying that combo,it was good.
My MIL makes this very nicely and i learnt this from her. she adds more of channa dal and little of toor dal,to make the usili like parrupu podi and mix with rice.
Here comes the recipe for beans usili.
Regarding the veggies to be added in usili,it is absolutely your choice.We can add beans, carrot,valaipoo,cluster beans,cabbage,broadbeans. My hubby’s grandma used to say that it can be made with onions and ladies finger too.But i never tried using all that.
Check out my
Preparation Time : 15 mins + soaking time 1 hour| Cooking Time : 35 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Beans 1 cup ( chopped into small)
Channa dal 1 cup
Toor dal 1/4 cup
Red chili 4
Asafoedita 2 pinches
Turmeric powder 2 pinches
Urad dal 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Oil 2 tblsp
Curry leaves few
- Soak channa dal and toor dal for 1 hr or if you are making this in weekdays for lunch box and going to make in the morning,soak it overnight and keep it in the fridge.
- Drain the water and grind it in the mixie along with hing ,redchilles ,curry leaves and salt,without adding water to it. Grease an idli plate and steam this ground paste for 7 – 10 mins.
- When it is done cut the steamed dal into pices and allow it to cool. After that,put it in a mixie and just grind it once .
- Heat a kadai, add a tblsp of oil and add mustard seeds and urad dhal to it.when it is done add the dal to it and fry nicely till it becomes golden brown.
- Meanwhile cook the beans and carrot in a kadai adding a little salt to it.
- Now mix both the beans and the dal nicely..
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy with hot fluffy rice .
If you want usili to be very soft add more of toordhal and a little channa dal.