ragi chocolate cake with nutella glaze
Making a cake with millet flour is the one I always love. I have already baked a thinai cake and the recipe of which is in my recent cookbook. I wanted to make a cupcake with ragi|finger millet flour. Finally, i made this vegan ragi chocolate cake and it was a super hit among kids. The recipe was slightly adapted from here. I packed this for their snacks and they really enjoyed it very much. I just topped the cake with a Nutella glaze. Since I had 1 tbsp of Nutella lying in the box, after trying a sandwich with Nutella (recipe coming soon). I felt very satisfied with giving a home-baked millet cake for kids to school. Even if you do not have an oven, you can try the same cake in a pressure cooker too. Check out my pressure cooker cake for more details and instructions.
Preparation Time: 10 mins | Cooking Time: 35 Mins |Serves: 16 square pieces
Ragi flour 1 cup
Whole wheat flour 1/2 cup
Sugar 1/2 cup
Cocoa powder 1/4 cup
Baking soda 1/2 tsp
Oil 5 tblsp
Lemon juice 1 tblsp
Vanilla essence 1 tsp
Water 1 and 1/4 cup
For nutella glaze
Nutella 1 tblsp
Butter 1 tsp
Milk 2 tblsp
- In a wide bowl, sift the ragi flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
- Powder the sugar and in a bowl add the sugar, oil, lemon juice, vanilla essence, and water.
- Now slowly mix the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients together and whisk it gently without any lumps.
- Grease a cake tin with oil and dust it with little flour.
- Pour in the batter to this and genlty tap it to get rid of the air bubbles.
- Bake this for 30 -35 minutes in an oven at 160 degrees. Insert a toothpick in the center and if comes out clean then it is done. Mine took 30 minutes. Timing varies from oven to oven.
- Allow this to cool completely. Cut them into squares after pouring the Nutella glaze.
- To make the glaze, in a pan add Nutella, milk, and butter together.
- Keep in a low flame and stir it. Let this get combined together. Once the butter is melted switch off the flame. It took 2-3 minutes for me to make this glaze.
- when the cake is completely cool, pour the glaze over the cake and spread it evenly and gently with a butter knife.
- Then cut this into squares.
- You can replace whole wheat flour with maida too.
- You can skip the nutella glaze and serve it plain also.
- The cake was a bit dense but was very tasty and kids friendly too.
- You can add finely chopped nuts while mixing the flour.
- Chocolate chips can also be added.