We had this sandwich along with a pineapple coconut water mocktail. Will post the recipe soon.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 2
Bread slices 4
Cherry Tomato 2 (optional)
Mixed herbs* 1/4 tsp
Chili flakes 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Olive oil 1 tblsp
Butter to apply on the bread
Grated cheese 1/4 cup ( optional)
*You can replace with oregano too
Video of how to make Mediterranean Sandwich
- Slice the zucchini and onions into roundels. Cut the capsicum into cubes. Thinly slice the zucchini
- Slit the cherry tomatoes into four. (if using)
- In a wide bowl add the chopped zucchini, onion, capsicum, cherry tomatoes and olives.
- Add in the mixed herbs, chili flakes salt and olive oil.
- In the original recipe chef used Balsamic vinegar, which can be replaced with lemon juice and regular vinegar. I missed to add that.
- Mix well and let this get marinated for 10 minutes. Cover and keep it inside the refrigerator.
- After 10 minutes, add this veggies to a tawa and cook this for 5-7 minutes in a medium flame.
- Once done switch off the flame.
- Filling is ready for the sandwich.
- Take one bread and butter on one side.
- Place the buttered side on a tawa.
- Place some filling on the top of the bread.
- Add grated cheese (if adding).
- Spread butter on another bread and place it on the top of the bread on the tawa, keeping the buttered side up.
- Cook on both sides till the outer portion gets golden brown colour. Keep the flame medium.
- You can grill this in a sandwich maker too.
- Cut them into squares or triangles and serve it. You can pack this for kids lunch box too.
- Instead of zucchini, you can use eggplants too. Use the big one which we use for baingan bhartha.
- The sandwich can be made in sandwich maker too instead of making in the tawa.
- You can add blanched broccoli, mushroom, tofu or paneer, sweet corn to the sandwich.
- I used whole wheat bread, use any bread of your choice.
- You can use cheese slices too.
- I have tried this with panini bread available in fairprice shop here. It tasted very nice.