Preparation Time : 10 mins + soaking + fermenting 10 hrs | Cooking Time : 3 Mins(per dosa) |Makes: 8-10 dosas
Kambu | bajra | pearl millet 1 cup
Idli rice or Varagu | little millet 1/2 cup
Urad dal 1/2 cup
Methi seeds | venthayam 1 tsp
Salt as needed
Oil 1/2 tsp -1tsp for each dosa
- Wash and soak the rice, bajra, urad dal and venthayam in a wide bowl for 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water and grind this in a mixie or grinder into a smooth paste. Add ice cold water while grinding. Especially if you are grinding in a mixie use ice cold water as the mixie gets heated up so soon.
- Add salt and mix well. Ferment the batter for 6 hours.
- Once the batter is ready, heat a dosa pan. Bring the batter to the right consistency.
- Pour a ladle full of batter to the pan and spread into a thin circle quickly.
- Drizzle oil to the dosa.
- Once it is cooked on one side, flip on the other side.
- Cook and take out from the pan.
- Serve hot. Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the batter.
- The dosa tasted best when served hot.
- I used white whole urad dal, you can replace with black urad dal. The original recipe given by my friend suggested black urad dal only.
- You can sprinkle some grated carrots and some onions on the top once it is cooked on one side.