Kambu koozh is a perfect summer cooler. During our childhood days though amma makes it sometimes but i never liked it that time. But when i did this kambu koozh for the mangayar malar supplement book in Dec 2014, this millet recipe was one among them. I somehow liked it very much and it’s an instant version of this pearl millet porridge. I used the bajra flour instead of whole bajra. Try this for your breakfast and you will be refreshed for the whole day. I made this not too thick but if you want you can make it as thick koozh .
The cute pots suresh got me during his recent trip to Chennai.
Preparation Time : 5 mins + standing time 6hours| Cooking Time : 10 Mins |Serves: 2-3
Bajra flour | kambu maavu 1/4 cup
Water (for porridge) 1 and 1/4 cup
Yogurt | curd 1/4 cup
Oil 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Green chili 1
Small onion | shallots 2 (sliced)
Salt as needed
Asafoetida a pinch
- In a wide pan add the kambu maavu and add little water and mix this well without any lumps.
- Add the remaining water and cook this in a low flame.
- When it becomes thick porridge consistency switch off the flame,cover it and keep it aside.
- Let it sit for 5-6 hours. After that temper with mustard seeds and asafoedita. Slice the onions and green chili and if you want you can saute this in oil and put. I put them raw and mixed them well with hands. Discard the green chili after that.
- Churn the yogurt and add 1 and half cups of water to this. Add salt.
- Mix well using a whisk. I used a wooden mathu.
- You can keep it in the refrigerator and consume in the mid day too. I made early in the morning and had around 2.30 pm when i was sweating badly. It was quite refreshing for me .
- If you are using whole bajra or kambu instead of flour, soak the kambu in water for one hour and pressure cook this for 3-4 whistles. Bajra :water will be 1:4.
- Keep it outside overnight and mix with buttermilk the next day. This will be in semi thick consistency.
- You can have mor milagai for accompaniment too.
- Thengai thogayal too will be a best one to accompany this kambu koozh.