TWO DIFFERENT VERSION OF MAKING SPINACH
This time i am going to share two ways of making keerai,(spinach/greens) one is a semi gravy method and the another is a dry curry one.Last week when a bought 3 bunches of keerai from the Indian shop near my place, i wanted to cook all of them as it was so fresh.
I bought the mullai keerai .(the one with the stem). For those in Singapore, we get Round spinach in fair price here, you can use that for this keerai masiyal. My mom makes this masiyal in a traditional stone pot(Kal chatti).
Here comes the recipe for KEERAI MASIYAL. Check out my keerai kootu recipe and keerai veppudu too.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 15 Mins |Serves: 2
Keerai | spinach 1 bunch
Coconut scrapped 2 tblsp
Cumin seed | jeeragam 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Sugar 1/4 tsp (optional)
Asafoetida 2 pinches
Urad dal 1/4 tsp
Coconut oil 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Chop the spinach very finely and wash it thoroughly in water for 3-4 times.
- In a kadai put the chopped spinach and add the turmeric powder,salt ,sugar and turmeric powder.
- Addition of sugar is to retain the colour of the keerai.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and cook in medium flame for 4-5 mins.
- With the help of the wooden whisk (மத்து) mash the keerai in between.
- Grind the coconut along with the cumin seeds into a smooth paste.
- Add it to the cooked spinach.
- Mix well and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Heat coconut oil and temper with mustard seeds and urad dhal.
- Sprinkle on the top of the keerai masiyal and serve warm with plain rice.
- If you want this little spicy you can always add 1-2 redchilli along with the coconut and cumin seed.
- Alternatively you can temper with 2 broken chillis also.
- Do not over cook the keerai and do not close it with a lid while cooking.
RECIPE FOR KEERAI PORIYAL:
I didn’t take step wise pictures for this recipe. Will update it when i am making this next time.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Keerai | spinach 2 bunches
coconut 3 tblsp
Oil 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Urad dal 1/4 tsp
Red chili 2
Salt as needed
- Chop the keerai finely and wash it thoroughly 3-4 times in water.
- Chop the onions finely.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the mustard seeds ,urad dal and redchilli.
- When it starts spluttering add the finely chopped onion and saute for few minutes.
- When it turns pink add the chopped keerai and add salt.
- Mix well and cook it for 5 mins.
- Do not over cook.
- Finally add the coconut and mix well.
- Serve hot with any gravy of your choice.
Loved both the version though not a fan of greens…Sure a healthy one. Luved the bowl in which keerai masaiyal is served
Loved both the version …shall try it …and nice pics dear…looks cool
Both versions are very nice,love the clicks…
Keerai masiyal is very new version to me,have to try out some time,both clicks are very nice! Dankies for the links 😉
healthy poriyal n masiyal….nice click jeya!
I do the poriyal…but masiyal is new to me….Both look great..
That looks fantastic, yum yum
Very healthy dish. Perfect with hot rice with a touch of ghee…..
Simple n perfect clicks!! more than masiyal its poriyal for meee..
I also get addicted to greens so that I would be so attracted to them in the market and want to cook it fresh.. Both the masiyal and poriyal looks so comforting… Miss the maththu 🙁
Looks so nice Jaishree and very healthy too will try out this way next time and tell u how it turned out:)
nice clicks dear…bookmarking this…..
Very easy to prepare and healthy poriyal and masiyal dear.
first time here… absolutely loved your space…..your presentations are soooo good…..just loved it !happy to follow your blog
That's one nutritious and delicious stir-fry! Loved the addition of urad dal to this recipe-we usually make it without lentil.
Very healthy and delicious !!!
Healthy masiyal and delicious poriyal,both together looks fabulous,can have it anytime..
Healthy poriyal..masiyal is new to me but looks delicious..
both dishes looks healthy and delicious dear…
lovely clicks 🙂
One of my all time fav…That looks so tempting..slurp!!love both version..
Hi, An award is waiting for you in my blog… Please collect it..
Never made that masiyal…that poriyal I make very regularly..looks really yumm
yum yum….my hubby's favourite
Delicious Keerai Recipes!!!! Love the masiyal click!!!appadiye sapidanum pola iruku!!!!
last snap is really great.. you could have upload it first.. a very healthy recipe 🙂
i love both masiyal and poriyal. perfect with vathakuzhambhu
I love spinach very much n glad to find such wonderful new ways to make them..Thanks for sharing dear 🙂
Keerai is my altime favourite…:)
Both masiyal and porial looks yummy! I make masiyal in a different way!
One small suggestion jeyashri,/Chop the spinach very finely and wash it thoroughly in water for 3-4 times/ keerai-yai wash pannittu chop pannungka.I read that somewhere,if you wash it after chopping,some of the nutrients will get lost!
Keera masiyal and poriyal looks so inviting. Love to eat anything made of keerai.
Simple and delicious poriyal.. looks gr8!!
Chennai Shopping Offers
I love your dishes but PLEASE DON'T wash the chopped vegetable. You are washing away all the health giving vitamins and nutrients. Wash as much as you need before chopping. Please.
I do poriyal this way,masiyal is very new.
For us traditionally masiyal means without coconut. Tempering done with mustard, methi seeds, red chilli and 1/4 tsp rice.