Okkarai recipe with Video – Updated
Okkarai | Ukkarai is a traditional sweet made in most of the tamil brahmin houses for diwali. I still remember my mom makes this in a very bulk quantity and except me everybody loves this okkarai very much. When i was talking to my mom yesterday, suddenly i remembered of this and asked her for the recipe. In my in –laws place we don’t make this ,and i made this for my hubby who is very fond of sweets. Here comes the recipe of okkarai. Check out my complete collection of Diwali recipes.
Preparation Time : 10 mins + 3 hrs soaking | Cooking Time : 40 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Channa dal 1/2 cup
Moong dal 2 tblsp
Jaggery 1/2 cup + 2tblsp *
Cashew nuts few
Ghee 2 tblsp
*Add 2 tblsp extra only if you are adding moong dal
Video of okkarai recipe
- Dry roast the channa dal and moong dal in a pan for 2 mins(be careful not to burn this)
- Soak it in water for 3 hours.
- Drain the water and grind this into a smooth paste .Just add 1 tblsp of water while grinding.
- Grease idli plates with ghee and transfer the ground dal to this and steam this for 12 mins.
- After steaming, break it into pieces and once it is cool, pulse it in a mixer to get a make it into fine pieces.
- In a pan put the jaggery and add 2 tblsp of water to this.
- Dissolve the jaggery.
- Filter the impurities if any. Keep the flame low.
- Let the jaggery melt and comes to 1 string consistency.
- You can check this by taking the jaggery syrup between the thumb and the index finger.
- When it reaches this stage , add the ground dal to this and mix it nicely.
- Add few tsp of ghee in the middle also while cooking.
- Cook in a medium flame,till it becomes soft and reaches a puttu or usili consistency.
- The consistency should be like a beach sand. At the same time it should be soft.
- It took 15 mins for me to reach this stage.
- Fry cashews in ghee and garnish the okkarai with cashews.
- Mix well.
- Enjoy this as it is.
- Though this may sound weird my mom and grandma will eat this as an accompaniment for CURD RICE.
- Some may skip the procedure of steaming the ground dal.
- But this will take more time to get cooked .
- Adding moong dal is optional. My mom’s recipe is without the addition of moong dal.
- Recently in Instagram, when i saw Shanti aunty posted using moong dal, i just tried and it turned out well.