Palak Paneer biryani with video
Palak paneer is a classic combo, which generally makes a combo in gravy as a side dish for chapathi. I have posted Palak paneer gravy in Jeyashri’s kitchen. As schools are reopening for kids in many places, i thought i will post this easy and kids friendly lunch box recipe. This palak paneer biryani is an easy one pot meal, loved by all at home. Try it out at home and I am sure kids will love this.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Basmati rice 1 cup
Palak leaves 1 cup (15-17 leaves)
Mint leaves a handful
Garlic 4 cloves
Biryani masala* 1 tsp
Oil 2 tblsp
Ghee 1 tblsp
Cashew nuts few (optional)
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Salt as needed
Sugar 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves few to garnish
*I used store bought biryani masala.
- Soak the basmati rice in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes.
- Blanch the palak by dipping it in hot water for a minute.
- Add the sugar in the water, this will help to retain the green color of the palak leaves.
- Drain the water and take out the leaves.
- Grind the palak leaves along with mint and garlic into a fine paste.
- In a pressure cooker add oil and ghee.
- Chop the onions into long.
- Add the cinnamon stick.
- Add the onions and saute till they turn golden brown. Keep the flame and do not burn it.
- Chop the tomatoes finely and add it.
- Cook for 2 minutes and add red chili powder and mix well.
- Add the ground palak masala to this. Add the paneer cubes to this. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Mix well and cook till the raw smell goes. Add the soaked rice along with the water.
- Add the Biryani masala too. If you do not have anything, you can add garam masala.
- Cover and cook till 2 whistles or you can cook for 1 whistle and keep it in a very low flame for 10 minutes and switch off the stove.
- If adding cashew nuts roast them in ghee and add it to the pulao.
- Fluff it up with fork. Gently mix it up.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve palak paneer biryani with onion raita .
- You can add bay leaf, cardamom and star anise too while adding the cinnamon.
- While grinding add a small piece ginger and also little fennel seeds.
- Instead of adding cashew nuts in the last, you can grind this too along with mint and palak. Soak in hot water for 10 minutes and then add.
- Palak paneer biryani tastes awesome and flavourful even after 2 hours.