Paruppu payasam, a traditional payasam | kheer recipe made using Chana dal, moong dal and jaggery as main ingredients. Paruppu payasam is made in our family during festivals like aavani avittam, ganesha chaturthi, karthigai deepam,pongal festival and other traditional festivals also. During my Childhood days i used to hate jaggery based desserts | payasams. But now i started liking jaggery based sweets. This is one of the easiest payasam recipe which can be made so quickly.
Check out my
- Recipe Cusine: Indian
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 10 Minutes
- Serves: 2-3
- Author: Jeyashri
- Recipe Category: Dessert
- Description: Paruppu payasam, a traditional payasam | kheer recipe made using Chana dal, moong dal and jaggery as main ingredients
Moong dal 1/4 cup
Chana dal 3 tblsp
Jaggery 1/2 cup – 3/4 cup
Coconut bits 2-3 tblsp
Water 1 cup
Milk 1 cup
Cashew nuts few
Cardamom powder a pinch
Ghee 4 tsp
Method with step by step pictures :
- In a pan, add 1 tsp of ghee and fry the moong dal and chana dal till it emits a nice aroma.
- Be careful, it shouldn’t get burnt.
- Pressure cook for 6-7 whistles this by adding 3/4 cup of water.
- Mash this well using a whisk and keep aside.
- Add the remaining ghee and fry the cashew nuts and the coconut bits separately, till golden brown.
- In a pan add the jaggery and melt this by adding 1/4 cup of water to it.
- If you want more sweetness add 1 cup of jaggery ,otherwise 3/4 will be ok .
- When it is completely meted filter this,to remove the impurities.
- Boil this jaggery water for 3-5 mins in a low flame.
- Now add the cooked dal to this and mix well.
- Now add the boiled and cooled milk to it.
- Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with nuts and coconut bits before serving.
- The coconut bits in the payasam will give an awesome taste.
- You can replace coconut milk instead of milk.
- If doing so, take a thick extract of coconut milk of 1/2 cup and add to the Paruppu payasam ,after switching off the flame.
- You can add some more milk if the consistency of the paruppu payasam is too thick.