Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 40 Mins |Makes: 40 jamuns
Potato 1 cup
All purpose flour | maida 4 tblsp
Baking soda a pinch
Ghee 1 tsp
Sugar 1 and 1/2 cup
Water 1 and 1/2 cup
Rose water 1 tsp (optional)
Oil for deep frying
- Boil the potatoes and mash them nicely. Best way is to grate them in a grater to make it even. Add the flour and baking powder to this .
- Knead this into a smooth dough without any cracks. Do not add any water while making the dough. If u still find the dough very loose add little extra flour to this.
- Make this into small rounds .
- In a pan heat the oil and when it is hot, keep the flame low and fry the potato balls into golden brown. Do not keep the flame high . Else the inside of the jamuns will not get cooked.
- Keep the rest of the dough covered all the times.
- In another pan add sugar and add water. Once the sugar is dissolved, allow this to boil for 2 minutes and switch off the flame. Add rose water if adding.
- Drain the fried jamuns in a kitchen towel.
- Transfer the jamuns to the warm syrup. Repeat this for the rest of the dough.
- Let the jamuns sit in the syrup for 2 hours. If needed microwave for 30 seconds and serve hot.
- Grate the potatoes after they are boiled . This will ensure even mixing.
- Do not use the US russet potato, it will become grainy once boiled.
- This jamun can be made with sweet potato too.
- Whie frying keep the flame low, else the jamuns will not get cooked inside.