Pudina sadam | Mint leaves rice is simple south indian lunch variety. As pongal festival is nearing, everybody will be busy looking for pongal festival recipes. I have already posted Sakkarai pongal recipe. The next day of pongal is Kannum pongal for which we generally make variety rice. These variety rice shouldn’t include onion or garlic in it. I am posting today Pudina sadam | Mint rice , which you can make for kannu pongal. You can try this for lunch box on normal days too. See you soon with a sweet dish tomorrow.
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 2
Cooked rice 1/2 cup
Mint leaves 1/4 cup
Coriander seeds 2 tsp
Channa dal 2 tsp
Green Chili 1
Coconut 1 tblsp(optional)
Oil 3 tsp
Cashew nuts 4-5 (optional)
Peanuts 2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Urad dal 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
- In a pan add oil and add in the mustard seeds. When it is done add the urad dal, peanuts and cashew nuts. Cook till they turn golden brown . Transfer this to a wide plate.
- In the same pan, add the coriander seeds, channa dal and green chili. Roast till the dal becomes nice brown colour. Add the coconut(if adding) at this stage . roast for 2 minutes in a low flame. Switch off the flame. Add in the mint leaves.
- When it is cool grind this in a mixer . Do not add water while grinding.
- Add this to the tempered mixure. Add cooked and cooled rice. Ensure that the rice is not over cooked. Add salt and mix gently.
- Pudina sadam is ready to serve. Serve this with a simple appalam or vadam. We had with javarisi vadam.
- Always ensure that the rice is perfectly cooked .
- Do not roast the mint leaves , switch off the flame and add. Else it will turn bitter.
- Basmati rice and raw rice also works well for this.
- If you want you can add 1 clove while roasting and grind along with the Mint leaves mixture.
- Green chili can be replaced with red chili
- Fresh coconut can be replaced with kopra too.
Super appetizing 🙂
looks very tempting..love pudina flavor
I tried this recipe and it tasted so good!
I tried this recipe and got appreciated by everyone who had this rice… Spreading this recipe and blog too:)