South indian breakfast recipes
Saamai | Little Millet in English | Kutki in Hindi| Chama in malayalam| Sama in telugu, is a very healthy variety of millet. Samai arsi is is best for diabetic people and has high fibre content too. Samai upma i recently tried for breakfast and it was a super hit too. I made in the same style of semiya upma . This samai upma is ideal for breakfast and also for dinner too.
Check out my other millet recipes:
- Wash the rice and soak it in water for 15 minutes. Chop the onions into round slices.
- In a pan add oil and add in the mustard seeds, urad dal, green chilli (slit) and the onions.
- Saute this in a medium low flame till the onions turn pink.
- Add in the vegetables and add salt. You can add potato and beans too if you want.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cup of water and allow this to boil.
- Drain the water from the soaked samai and add it to the boiling water.
- Keep the flame very low and if needed cover the pan with a lid. It took 7 to 8 minutes to get completely cooked.
- Since we soaked it for 15 minutes, it reduces the cooking time.
- Fluff it up with fork and serve it hot. .
- I personally loved it with sugar and you can have with pickle too.
- Soaking reduces the cooking time. So soak the samai rice for 15 minutes.
- If you are in a hurry and do not have time to soak, add 2 cups of water while cooking.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice.
- I added 1 green chili but felt 2 would have been ideal as i felt that it is slightly bland. I use the small chili.