Kuzhi paniyarams we generally make with left over Idli| dosa batter
. I have already posted the recipe of Chettinad kuzhi paniyaram
. Very recently my mom was telling me to try the Thakkali dosai | tomato dosai and with the same recipe given by her i just made thakkali kuzhi paniyaram instead of thakkali dosai. It turned out super soft and you can even try out with the left over idli |dosa batter too.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 MINUTES. COOKING TIME: 30 MINUTES. MAKES: 40-45 PANIYARAMS
|WHOLE URAD DAL
|VENDAYAM| METHI SEEDS
|RED CHILLI POWDER
If using leftover idli dosa batter skip the first 2 steps.
- Soak the rice, dal and methi seeds together for 4 to 5 hours.
- Drain the water and grind this into a very smooth paste by adding water little by little in between. When done, add salt and mix well. Ferment it for 6-7 hours. Batter is ready.
- Grind the tomato and garlic into a fine paste and add this to the batter.
- Finley chop the onions and in a pan add oil and add in the mustard seeds. Add in the onions and chopped curry leaves. Add red chilli powder and salt and saute for a minute. Switch off the flame.
- Add the onions to the batter and mix well. If using channa dal soak it for 10 minutes and drain the water and add to this.
- Heat the paniyaram pan and add little oil in each hole. Spoon in the batter and cook on both sides in a medium low flame , till it becomes golden brown.
- Serve them hot. This paniyaram pairs very well with coconut chutney. Note:
- Let the consistency of the batter be not too thick or nor too watery. If thick the paniyarams will be dry and hard.
- You can add finely chopped carrots and coconuts to the batter.
- Green chillis can be replaced with red chilli powder. In that case, pulse the ginger and green chilli the mixer once and add, so that it will come while eating.