Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 30 Mins |Serves: 4-5
Raw rice | sona masoori 1 cup
Yellow moong dal 1/2 cup
Asafoetida 2 pinches
Ghee 2 tblsp + 1 tsp
Oil 1 tblsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Pepper 1 tsp
Ginger grated 1 tblsp
Cashew nuts 8-10
Salt as needed
Milk 1/4 cup (optional)
Curry leaves few
Video of how to make ven pongal
- Roast the rice and dal in a pressure cooker for 5 minutes. Let it be just hot enough. Do not burnt.
- Add 5 cups of water and asafoetida and 1 tsp ghee to this.
- Ghee gives a soft texture to the ven pongal, you can add oil also.
- Pressure cook till 4-5 whistles.
- When it is done, add salt and mash this nicely with the back of the ladle.
- Add milk to this and mash it well. Adding milk gives a creamy texture. If you do not want skip it. You can add 1/4 cup of hot water.
- In a pan, add the ghee and oil and throw in the black pepper, cumin seeds,ginger and curry leaves when it crackles add the cashew nuts and saute in a low flame till it becomes golden brown colour.
- Switch off the flame.
- Mix the spices to the cooked rice and dal.
- Mix well.
- If you want just add a spoon of ghee to this and mix well.
- Enjoy ven pongal with Onion Gotsu or thakkali sambar.
- Many times I have tried ven pongal with parboiled rice also and that turned out well.
- Pepper, cumin seeds, curry leaves can be crushed coarsely and added to this.
- You can add a pinch of turmeric powder while cooking the pongal. If adding add it while pressure cooking it.
- Adding asafoetida while cooking the ven pongal gives a wonderful flavor, so do not skip this step.
- Adding ghee or oil before cooking the rice, gives a nice texture and softness to the Ven pongal.