Avial is a traditional south Indian recipe and is prepared in many ways . The combination of vegetables used also differs and so one can use their comfortable choice while selecting the vegetables.
I learnt this from my mom who is an expert in making avial. Generally aviyal is served with coconut rice , lemon rice or any south indian rice varieties and also with adai too.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 4
Mixed Vegetables* 2 cups
Coconut 1/2 Cup
Green chili 2
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Cashew nuts 6 (optional)
Curry leaves few
Coconut oil 1 tblsp
Yogurt | curd 1/4 cup
* Normally veggies like carrot,beans,potato,rawbanana,yam,drumstick,chow chow,white pumpkin,snake gourd , green peas are used in aviyal.
But due to non-availability of some veggies , i used carrot,beans ,chow chow and since my daughter always demand peanuts in aviyal i normally add peanuts.
- If you are using peanuts soak it an hour before and pressure cook it with little salt, drain the water and keep it aside. Cut the carrots and chow chow into cubes and beans into 1/2 inch size. Steam all the veggies in a pressure cooker for 15 mins or put the veggies in a wide pan and add 1 cup of water and little salt to this and cook till the veggies become soft.
- Do not cook them mushy.
- Add the peanuts to it.
- If you are adding white pumpkin(ashguard) or drumstick cook it seperately.
- Grind the chillies,coconut and jeeragam into a fine paste using a mixie. If adding cashew nuts soak it in hot water for 5 minutes and grind it together with coconut.
- Cashew gives a nice creamy texture.
- Add this ground coconut mixture to the cooked veggies. check for salt.
- Bring it to boil. Switch off the gas and add the coconut oil to it .
- Add curry leaves.
- Allow this to completely cool. Add beaten yogurt to this just before serving.
- Do not add the yogurt when the aviyal is hot.
- Adding yogurt before serving make it sour, so add yogurt just before serving.
- If you do no like adding yogurt just skip adding that.
- Adding cashew gives a nice creamy texture.