This gravy can be prepared with or without garlic. Its absolutely your choice to use it or not, but i prefer adding garlic . Both the version will taste very yummy.
|TAMARIND EXTRACT||2 1/2 CUPS|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|SESAME OIL||1 TBLSP|
|GARLIC||ONE HAND FULL(optional)|
- Soak lemon sized tamarind in hot water and extract the pulp using 2 and half cups of water.
- Peel the skin of the garlic(if using) and keep it aside.
- In a kadai, add a few drops of oil and add the toordhal and pepper.
- Saute till the dhal turns golden brown.
- Allow it to cool
- Grind in the mixie by adding some curry leaves to it.
- Grind it into a smooth paste by adding a little water to it.
- In the kadai, add the sesame oil and add the mustard seeds.
- When it splutters, add the garlic(if using) and saute for few minutes.
- Now add the tamarind extract and the ground paste to it.
- Add jagerry, turmeric powder , asafoetida and salt to it.
- Allow it to boil till u get the right kuzhambhu consistency.
- Finally add some curry leaves and add a few drops of sesame oil on the top.
- U can keep this for 2 days in the fridge.
- Enjoy with hot rice and roasted papad.