Rasam is always loved in my family and i make this on all weekends. Normally i make tomato rasam and add some toordhal to it. Some may call this as PARRUPU RASAM also.
My mom and my mil,used to make rasam in a special vessel made out of lead. We call this “Eiyya Chombhu” in tamil. This vessel itself enhances the taste of rasam. My mom also gave me one when i got married. Now i am making rasam in this,and no doubt this is loved by all in my family.
We can make it in a kadai/a normal vessel too.
|TAMARIND EXTRACT||2 TBLSP|
|SAMBHAR POWDER||1 TO 1 1/2 TSP|
|COOKED TOORDHAL||2 TBLSP|
|ASAFOETIDA||A GENEROUS PINCH|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||A PINCH|
- Transfer it to a vessel and add the tamarind extract,sambhar powder,turmeric powder ,salt,asafoetida and put it on the stove top.
- Keep it in a very low flame and close it with a lid.
- Allow it to boil for 10 mins or till the raw smell of the sambhar powder goes off.
- Add a cup of the water to the cooked toordhal and mix well.
- Now add this dal water to the boiling rasam.
- Dont allow this to boil, just switch off the flame when it is frothy.
- Temper mustard seeds and cumin seeds in oil/ghee and add it to the rasam.
- Add curry leaves and coriander leaves.
Picture updated .