Rasam is always loved in my family and i make this on all weekends. Normally i make tomato rasam and add some toordhal to it. Some may call this as PARRUPU RASAM also.
My mom and my mil,used to make rasam in a special vessel made out of lead. We call this “Eiyya Chombhu” in tamil. This vessel itself enhances the taste of rasam. My mom also gave me one when i got married. Now i am making rasam in this,and no doubt this is loved by all in my family.
We can make it in a kadai/a normal vessel too. Check out my kandanthipili rasam recipe .
Tomato rasam recipe
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Tomato | thakkali 2
Tamarind extract 2 tblsp
Sambar powder 1 and 1/2 tsp
Salt as needed
Cooked toor dal 2 tblsp
Water 1 cup
Asafoetida a pinch
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Coriander leaves few
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
Ghee | oil 1/2 tsp
- Cut the tomatoes and puree it in the mixie.
- Transfer it to a vessel and add the tamarind extract,sambar powder,turmeric powder ,salt,asafoetida and put it on the stove top.
- Keep it in a very low flame and close it with a lid.
- Allow it to boil for 10 mins or till the raw smell of the sambar powder goes off.
- Add a cup of the water to the cooked toordhal and mix well.
- Now add this dal water to the boiling rasam.
- Don't allow this to boil, just switch off the flame when it is frothy.
- Temper mustard seeds and cumin seeds in oil/ghee and add it to the rasam.
- Add curry leaves and coriander leaves.