This payasam is made in our family during festivals like aavani avittam, ganesha chaturthi, karthigai deepam,pongal festival and other traditional festivals also. My family loves all sweet dishes,especially the one which is made out of jagerrry .
Here is how i made this:
|JAGERRY||1/2 –3/4 CUP|
|COCONUT(CUT INTO FINE BITS)||2 TBLSP|
|ELACHI POWDER||A PINCH|
- In a kadai, add 1/2 tsp of ghee and fry the moongdal and channa dal till it emits a nice aroma.
- Be careful, it shouldn’t get burnt.
- Pressure cook this by adding 3/4 cup of water.
- Add the remaining ghee and fry the cahewnuts and the coconut bits seperately, till golden brown.
- In a kdai add the jagerry and melt this by adding 1/4 cup of water to it.
- If u want more sweetness add 1 cup of jagerry ,otherwise 3/4 will be ok .
- when it is completely meted filter this,to remove the impurities.
- Boil this jageery water for 3-5 mins in a low flame.
- Now add the cooked dal to this and mix well.
- Now add the boiled and cooled milk to it.
- Mix well and switch off the flame….
- Garnish with nuts and coconut bits before serving.
- The coconut bits in the payasam will give an awesome taste.
- You can replace coconut milk instead of milk.
- If doing so, take a thick extract of coconut milk of 1/2 cup and add to the payasam ,after swtiching off the flame.