This is a very simple version of kootu. We call this as “chow chow white kootu”. This is normally made during at my mom’s place for dinner as accompaniment for Vathakuzhambhu. This version doesnot involves addition of any moong dal/toordal as we add for normal Kootu.
I wanted to make this for a long time and today i finally did this.
|CHOW CHOW||1 NO.|
|CHANNA DAL||2 TBLSP|
|COCONUT GRATED||3 TBLSP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|GREEN CHILLIES||2 NO.|
|COCONUT OIL||1 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
- Cut the chow chow in to cubes.
- Soak the channa dal in water for 10 minutes.
- Grind the coconut,greenchillies and cumin seeds into a fine paste by adding a ittle water to it.
- Keep it aside..
- Pressure cook the chow chow with channal dal, by adding the salt and asafoetida to it.
- Donot add water while pressure cooking, else the kootu will become watery.
- Heat a kadai and add the coconut oil
- Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the cooked veggie and the ground coconut masala to it.
- Allow this mixture to boil for 2 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and serve it enjoy with vathakuzhambhu sadam./coconut Rice
- This kootu can be made with white pumpkin/cabbage/bottlegourd.
- Dont add turmeric powder to this kootu.