For Karthigai deepam, we also make Paruppu Payasam,and appam. Check my complete collection of Karthigai Deepam recipes . Follow Jeyashri's kitchen on facebook for latest updates.
INGREDIENTS: YIELDS: 14 BALLS
|PORI(PUFFED RICE)||3 CUPS|
|DRY GINGER||1/4 TSP|
|ELACHI POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|COCONUT PIECES||2 TBLSP|
- In a kadai, add ghee and fry the coconut pieces until golden brown.
- Keep it aside.
- Melt the jaggery in water and filter it to remove impurities.
- Now in the same kadai, add the coconut pieces and the filtered jaggery water and bring it to boil.
- Take a little water in a small bowl. This is to check the consistency of the jaggery.
- Just add a few drops of nicely boiling jaggery into the water.
- Add the dry ginger powder and elachi powder at this stage.
- If you could able to make it a hard ball,then switch off the gas.
- Otherwise allow it to boil till u reach the consistency.
- Keep the pori in a wide bowl and pour the jaggery to it.
- Mix it nicely with a ladle.
- Greese your hands with a drop of ghee and make it balls when it is warm.
- This measurement yielded me approximately 14 urundais.