Thogaiyals are very handy and i almost make this on weekends and my family loves this the most, especially my daughter is a big fan of thogaiyal. Always i make Thengai thogaiyal or Parrupu thogaiyal, but this thogaiyal i suddenly remembered and asked my mom for the exact recipe. We all enjoyed this with rice along with oven roasted papad.
|RIDGE GOURD||1 NO|
|URAD DHAL||3 TBLSP|
|TAMARIND||A SMALL PIECE|
|COCONUT SCRAPPED||1 TSP(OPTIONAL)|
- Peel the skin of the ridge gourd and chop it roughly.
- In a kadai, add oil and throw in the urad dhal, redchillies, tamarind and asafoetida.
- Fry till it turns gold in colour.
- Keep it aside.
- In the same kadai, add the roughly chopped ridgegourd pieces and saute till it becomes soft and cooked nicely.
- Allow it to cool
- First grind the dal and redchilli mixture along with the coconut(if using) .
- Then finally add the ridge gourd and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Don not add any water,as the ridge gourd will ooze out water.
- Normally we mix thogaiyal with hot rice with sesame oil mixed to it.
- We can use this as a side dish for idli/ dosa.
- I personally love to spread this on bread .